by Scholes, Robert
This object is available for public use. Individuals interested in reproducing this object in a publication, web site or for any commercial purpose must first receive written permission from the Brown University Library.
For further information, please contact:
Modernist Journals Project
Box 1597, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912
Arnolfo di Cambio (1245 - 1310)
He was born in Colle di Valdelse but lived and worked at various places in the north of Italy. He was an assistant to Nicola Pisano both on the shrine of S. Dominic in Bologna and the pulpit at Siena. His statue of Charles of Anjou (before 1277) is the first modern portrait statue by a known artist and the design of his wall tomb of Cardinal de Braye (the cardinal lies on a bier beneath the Madonna and Child in glory) was a model for over a century. but he is best known today as an architect. He was an architect of the cathedral of S. Maria del Fiore and the church of S. Croce, both in Florence, and also carved the sculptural decoration on the cathedral façade. He also designed the original of the Palazzo Vecchio in that city.