Maurice Marinot (1882 – 1960) He was born in Troyes, and began his art training at the Ecole Des Beaux-Arts in Paris, studying painting and sculpture. He joined the Fauves and exhibited paintings with them, at the Salon d’Automne in 1911, for example. At about that time he visited the Viard brothers’ glassworks at Bar-sur-Seine and was drawn to the work in glass for which he is best known today. He went from glass back to painting in 1937, when the Viard factory was closed during the occupation. In 1944 his own studio was destroyed during an allied bombing. Many of his glass works, drawings and paintings were lost in this bombing. In painting he may have been a Fauve, but in glass he is usually associated with Art Deco.