Ilya Ivanovich Mashkov (1881 – 1944) He was born in the Cossack village of Mikhailovskaya-on-Don and trained att the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture under Korovin and Serov (1900-1909). He traveled to France, Germany, Austria, England, Spain and Italy (1908). In 1910 he became one of the organizers of the Jack of Diamonds group of Russian artists who developed their own version of symbolism/fauvism. Returning to Russia, he spent most of his life in Moscow and taught at the SVOMAS (Free Workshops) in 1918-1920, VKhUTEMAS / VKhUTEIN (Higher State Artistic and Technical Workshops / Higher State Art Technical Institute) in 1918-1930. He was a member of AKhRR (Association of Artist of Revolutionary Russia) in 1924-1932, and one of the organizers of OMKh (Society of Moscow Artists).